Monday, March 8, 2010

The Multi-verse and the Right to Philosophize...

I recently received an email that questioned my right and ability to philosophize. 

"Who are you to challenge the way things are...?" it said...

"Just what do you know about philosophy anyway...?"

Interesting questions!

There is a long and a short answer to these questions...

I choose the shorter journey and will rely on the reader's ability to draw conclusions...

Let's begin with the most influential high school teacher that I had...

Name withheld...one of the MANY degrees that she held was a PhD in Philosophy...

She took me under her wing and taught me philosophy during my most formative years...philosophy became part of my DNA...

In college...(I have a degree in Philosophy and Religious Studies by the way) I studied under many of that times most influential Philosophers...A Hume Advocate...a Hegelian...an Eastern Philosopher whose son has gone on to teach history at a prestigious university...a renowned Logician...I could drop names...but this would only be for my edification...

Although the classes and discussions were enlightening...I found the MANY hours that we spent before and after class...in deep discussion much more formative...

I could tout credentials...but my short answer is...

I had an INTEREST...I cultivated that interest (with the help and guidance of others) into a PASSION...and over the past 30 years...turned it into a TALENT...

The right to philosophize is not a right given by a degree...or by achieving some level of publication...but through the relevance of the questions that they ask and the answers that they obtain...

On that and that alone do I exercise my right to philosophize...

Enough Said!

*********************************

The "multi-verse" has again reared it head!  For those who have not pondered the multi-verse...it is simply the concept that every logical and illogical possibility exists in the "sum-total universe."  Our existence is simply one variation of all of the "strings" (I use that term loosely) that actually exist.

It is an interesting concept...that makes our existence much less meaningful...we are simply one of an infinite number of mathematical (infinite) possibilities...that are not theoretical...but actual...and just as real...or unreal...

I enjoy this musing...it makes for great conversations at dinner and cocktail parties.  But I have little confidence that it would make meaningful and significant differences in science or humanity...WHY?

Because understanding that there are other "existences" does not provide a deeper understanding of our "existence.

The 21st century philosophers and scientists need to maintain focus on deeper understanding and insight into our dimension...

Let those who exist in those other "strings" worry about their "strings!"  In fact one possibility it that they do not care about it at all!  LOL!

My interest in the multi-verse was peaked when I tried to put it into perspective relative to my concept of a finite "Pi."  As I considered the multi-verse, I concluded that we may simply be the place where "Pi" has no end...and then my quest for finite "Pi" is fruitless...on the other hand...we may be the universe that has lost touch with the REAL number system and is destined to flounder in our own stupidity...

OR...

We may be the universe that suddenly becomes enlightened by the inconsistencies of our current mathematics and bring the finite "Pi" into existence!

This is where the multi-verse shines!  We do not know...

We can have a fatalistic view of existence...or

We can consider the possibilities...and choose the direction that we want this universe to travel!

Consider that!

Your work and thoughts and efforts...can have universal impacts...that not only effects our own existence...but all of the other existences as well...

Perhaps this universe is significantly more "ethnocentric" than we realize!

Enough Said!

1 comment:

  1. Phil, I know it's not being asked in your intent to open minds, but one compelling reason the M-Theory is under consideration deals with consevation of mass and energy associatd with loss of data by evaporationof black holes. Hawking proposed the information isn't lost in another universe, so the balance of nature is maintained through the multiple possibilities. Just my 2 cents worth. Cosmology is a passion of mine as you know...I love the mix with philosophy. Regards!

    ReplyDelete